birding-aus

More Daft Listings: the Grey-tailed Tattler

Subject: More Daft Listings: the Grey-tailed Tattler
From: Harry Clarke <>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 18:18:40 +1000

I didn't mention the Grey-tailed tattler in my earlier comment but Michael Norris in commenting on my comment did.

Again I wonder what conceivably useful 'management plan' can be employed in Victoria to conserve this species.  Again I guess ‘conserve coastal mudflats’ will be ‘the management plan’ (thanks for that!) but this should be done anyway.

Why the need for Victorians to focus on this specific species? To quote Michael's own words, the reason for listing was a decline in numbers in Victoria but:

"the most likely reasons for the decline being due to threats acting on the taxon in other countries on the flyway..."

This suggests to me the need for conservation effort elsewhere on the Flyway not a specific case for action in Victoria. It seems to me a frivolous listing unrelated to Victorian conservation concerns that the Act is supposed to concerned with.

Harry Clarke.