birding-aus

Re: Magpie Recipes

To: <>
Subject: Re: Magpie Recipes
From: "jill dark" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:28:22 +1000
I feel that these recipes are unnecessarily complicated.  Most insectivorous
birds will do well on pieces of oxheart dipped in Wombaroo Insectivore Mix.
Make sure that they get plenty of water.  This can be given by dripping it
into the tip of the beak from an eyedropper.  If you can get them, mice are
even better.  For very young birds, chop "pinkie" mice into pieces to suit
the size of bird you have.  As the birds grow give larger mice or pieces of
mouse.  Swallows will do well on this.  I breed my own cockroaches and
mealworms so always have plenty on hand.  Crickets can be bought from the
local pet shop.  I never use Weetbix or scrambled egg in a mix for birds.

I notice that Blackbirds, Sparrows and Starlings are included.  All ferals
that I pick up go to Heaven.

Jill
(Wires carer in the Blue Mountains)