birding-aus

Blackbird's song

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Blackbird's song
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:39:43 +1000
There have been some interesting responses to the question - Do Blackbirds
sing better in Europe than in Australia?

To summarize, suggestions as to why they may sing better in Europe are:

more Blackbirds per acre in Europe, thus more competition and more
territorial song.

better food supplies so more time for singing (this applies to Australia's
Superb Lyrebird - in poorer country they do sing much less).

association with closely-related species with similar songs, in Europe, may
influence song output.

possibly Blackbirds share territories in Australia, so the males sing less.

But if Blackbirds also sing better in New Zealand (as someone has
suggested), then what is going on here?

Maybe there are more predators in Australia?  Is that why Blackbirds are
seemingly more furtive, and perhaps sing less?  In Europe, Blackbirds can
colonize town gardens, but do they do this in Australia?  Maybe Blackbirds
are lower in the pecking order, ousted perhaps by currawongs, kookaburras,
ravens, butcherbirds?  Any comments here?

I understand that European songbirds do generally have fewer nest predators
than Australian songbirds.  European birds thus lay more eggs in a single
nest, than do Aussie passerines.  Conversely, while the Aussie birds lay
fewer eggs, they may have many more nest attempts per season than their
European counterparts.

Some song comparisons will be useful too, that one is on my "to do" list!

Vicki Powys
Capertee Valley NSW