birding-aus

RFI: Taroona (Tas.) breeding birds on the beach

Subject: RFI: Taroona (Tas.) breeding birds on the beach
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:45:16 -0700 (PDT)
G'day Rob and Phillip,

Open a "Hot Dog Stand" on the beach .... if you get my drift.

Thoughtless careless dog owners eh? or is it in fact a wild dog pack? the later becomes an urgent human health issue okay.

Yours John A. Gamblin

Philip Griffin <> wrote:

I have a colleague in Taroona, just south of Hobart, Tasmania who is concerned by the number of dogs, mostly without leash, which are being allowed to walk along the beach and foreshore. Apparently it's supposed to be dog free but the local council says it doesn't have the resources to patrol more often than they currently do. My friend, Rob, is hoping to put some more pressure on the council by highlighting some conservation value of reducing dog activity there.

If there's anyone out there who has any information on Little Penguins
breeding on that stretch of beach, that would be useful. Rob says
he has found dead penguins on the beach and that penguins have
attempted to breed but were killed by dogs.

Records of Forty-spotted Pardalote would be a handy piece of
ammunition too, there are Spotted Pardalotes breeding there,
(again when the dogs don't get to them first) but it's probably only the
Forty-spotted version that's going to have any significant political clout.

Any advice, comments or records that may be useful please send to
Rob Bester -

Thanks
Philip Griffin

Do you Yahoo!?