birding-aus

Collimation

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Collimation
From: "Doug Holly" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:40:28 +1030
Chris,
It was easy to mention it on BA but describing how to do it is a bit
harder,...... I will try.
Give it a go with some strong cord at first and see how you go.
An average person needs 2m of cord/webbing.
Place a key ring( about 20mm diameter) in each of the strap mountings on
your binos, (or a make-believe pair for testing).
Thread the 2m of cord/webbing through these and join the ends.
Hold each end of the strap/circle in each hand, pull apart and have the bins
hanging in the centre, bring your two hands together, and let the bins hang
loose.
So,.... if you now put this around your neck you have your bins hanging on
two straps,( each side), which are a bit long, and you are following my
instructions Ok.
 ( this is like trying to follow those Asian instructions on how to get your
video recorder going.....hmmm  hmmm )
How am I going ? ? ?
OK,.... back to the lesson, ( the procedure is very simple, but complicated
to try and describe via this medium)
Holding the straps in front of you (with the bins hanging from four staps)
separate the two bends ( bites, in "rope talk" for those who were scouts,
seamen or fire-fighters) and hold them apart, so now you have a cross of the
straps in the middle.
 Put your arms through the circles/holes on each side, and, regarding "the
cross," open it up, and place it over your head so that "the cross" is on
your back, and there,..... you have your bins, hanging on your chest, at a
very convenient distance to lift to your eyes and they do not flop around
when you bend over and you have no more neck pains.
( something that affects "us oldies")
I wonder should I "do a JAG" and give a prize of two metres of webbing to
those who can follow these instructions.? ?  ?
Have fun, and let's hear if anyone can work it out.
Maybe I should just stick to listening to bird calls on TV golf
shows......hmmmm ?
Doug Holly