birding-aus

Binocular disasters (was collimation)

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Binocular disasters (was collimation)
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 09:14:48 +1100

Paul & All,

I've had a few disasters with binoculars and I've lost count of the actual number I've used up, but let's start about half way through the saga, they are all roof-prism type:

Pair 1, (cheap) dropped into water, ruined.
Pair 2 (cheap) I almost lost over a cliff edge at Katherine Gorge.  They hit rock and lost alignment but I mended them myself using dental floss to rebind the prism inside.  The prisms appeared to be held in place by what looked like blobs of sealing wax, not built for hard knocks.
Pair 3 (cheap) went out of alignment, probably dropped them.  Took them to an optician somewhere outback and they handed them back to me in even worse alignment.  (OPSM not recommended for collimation.)
Pair 4 (cheap) I left sitting on the bonnet of my car near Lake Eyre, drove off, didn't notice until 400 km further on, lost binocs.
Pair 5 (cheap) eventually fell apart and did not have good alignment to start with, gave me headaches.
Pair 6 (expensive! Swarovski! lovely!) haven't dropped or lost these during first 4 years of ownership - the price tag helps.  Also I think the construction of the Swarovskis is very rugged and knock-proof.  Mine are 8x20 and a perfect size for watching birds while I'm recording them.

Vicki Powys
in drought-stricken Capertee Valley, NSW