birding-aus

Double-barred Finch, Bicentennial Park, Homebush

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Double-barred Finch, Bicentennial Park, Homebush
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 16:07:31 +1100
Tom Wilson queries whether Double-barred Finches had been seen at Homebush
Bicentennial Park.  I live in the area and have
visited the Park many times, including volunteering on the RAOU Homebush Bay
Bird Monitoring Project for the Sydney Olympics
for 4 years.

Here's an extract of my records:

19/9/93  2 birds foraging on ground
4/10/94  10.30am  Bicentennial Park northern end (now the bird hide area)  2
foraging on path with a European Goldfinch
>From period 8/10/95 to 3/3/96 - 5 records at Haslams Creek and North Arm
>including dependent young
>From period 1/12/96 to 4/5/97 - 3 records at Haslams Creek and North Arm
>including 1 sighting of 6 birds
3/8/97 - 8 birds
28/9/97 - in the new grasslands (planted as part of the Olympics work)
5/4/98

For those unfamiliar with the area, Haslams Creek and North Arm are across the
road from the northern end of Homebush
Bicentennial Park.

Cheers and Happy Times with Nature

Irene Denton
Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW Australia
S 33°50.278'  E 151°05.406'