birding-aus

Bicentennial Park, Homebush

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Bicentennial Park, Homebush
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 15:21:44 +1100
It looks like we have just convinced Faye, my wife,  that we should finally get a telescope after this morning's exercise. We left here at 5.30am and arrived at the Bicentennial Park at Homebush before the gates had opened. Must remember that! An opening hour for cars at 6.30am!!!

Anyhow, inside we walked rapidly to the wetlands area and hide before the high tide arrived ( there had been a Ruff present a week ago but no longer. I have yet to see one here in Australia) and with our binoculars we enjoyed all the Chestnut Teal and Grey Teal, the flock of Sharp Tailed Sandpipers, Red Kneed Dotterels and a wonderful flock of approximately 24 Red Necked Avocet. There was much more, of course, but I shall not dwell on more at this stage. We had walked back through the mangroves and were looking at a Great Egret when the park Ranger drove up, introduced herself and invited us to join her in a tour of the Park. What's more, she had a telescope!!!!

At the freshwater lake (we were heading in that direction) we had views through the telescope of nesting Darter, Little Pied Cormorant and Little Black Cormorants, complete with chicks, Little Grassbirds, Clamorous Reed Warblers and, Faye's favourite for the day, Red Rumped Parrots!!

But I think Faye was sold on the idea of a telescope when we returned to the wader pond and were able to see the Pink Eared Ducks, Hoary Headed Grebes, Common Sandpiper and fledging Black Wing Stilts clearly!!! I might get the much promised birthday present after all!!! It has only been five years!

Total list this morning was 55 species. In the end, perhaps, the bird for me was the Mangrove Gerygone. We don't often see them. But those Avocets were simply gorgeous. I must get back into western NSW and look at those inland wetlands as soon as this drought is finally broken.