birding-aus

Bicentennial Park, Homebush

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Bicentennial Park, Homebush
From: "Tom Wilson" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 22:28:19 +1100
Brian Everingham wrote on 2 January of his visit to Bicentennial Park.  I presume that he was in the group that my brother and I met at about 9am at the main waterbird refuge.  In addition to Brian's sightings, my brother and I think that there was a Pectoral Sandpiper on the far western shore of the refuge (ie furthest away from the viewing spots).  The bird was feeding with 2 Sharp Taileds, but was very aggressive towards them (which is not something that I have noticed within groups of Sharp Taileds alone).  It had a much deeper breast marking, stretching down to the belly and looked a little bit bigger than the other 2.  I did mention this to the ranger, but she said that she hadn't heard of or seen any herself.

Walking back to the car park, we heard a small finch call - not a Red Browed, it sounded more like a Double Banded to me - but we couldn't locate the bird (it appeared to be on the salt water side of the mangroves and wouldn't be squeaked out!)  Have Double Barreds been reported from Homebush before?

We also visited Mason Park in Strathfield, where there were lots of Sharp Tailed Sandpipers (300+? - it was hard to count as several big groups came in as we were watching), Curlew Sandpipers (about 30), 6 Golden Plover, Black Fronted and Red Kneed Dotterels, a Great Egret with lovely breeding plumes and lots of Grey Teal.

Cheers
Tom Wilson