birding-aus

BIRDING-AUS~~Vernacular names~~Hugo I take umbridge

To: Hugo Phillipps <>
Subject: BIRDING-AUS~~Vernacular names~~Hugo I take umbridge
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 01:40:58 -0700 (PDT)
G'day All,

John A. Gamblin here and I'd like to debate Cere
Hugo's
last paragraph in his fine reply to Syd Curtis re"
Vernacular names" and his pearls of wisdom.

Hugo said:
"That the issue continues to generate such heat says
something about human psychology - and maybe sometimes
about birding politics - but the birds don't care!

I wouldn't be to sure about that Cere Hugo? re: birds
don't care about what they are cawled? I know of a
certain little bird that if I cawl her "Magpie mouth"
it's on for young and olde between us, whereas if I
cawl her by her Latin name whilst we are sat on the
couch together then she gives me a cooo and a
twardling enough to melt any male heart.

Although when "Eggy" was young she spent 20 minutes
looking at the orange juice can because it said
"concentrate" I don't think she's uninteligent?
do you? and she most certainly cares about what she is
cawled? especially if it's late for her cup of "billy
Lee". I must admit though that Kevin the Kookaburra,
another I helped a long while back, when he lived with
me, he didn't care as much as she does but then he was
a bomber supporter so???

I just think it is highly debatable wheter or not
birds care about what they are called? my dear young
fellow. I do take umbridges at this statement of
yours.

Sinned Cere Lee,
John A. Gamblin,
Potters off to shave another nestbox whilst smiling at
the world cup results, Nelson never forgets ~:^D>>>.
(What French? I see no French.)
Hugo Phillipps <>
wrote:

Hi Syd -