birding-aus

Re: Conversions: lat/long & grid refs

To: birdingaus <>
Subject: Re: Conversions: lat/long & grid refs
From: John Boyce <>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:36:15 +1100
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knew how to convert lat and long to the types
of projections which are used in atlasses (IE mercator, zenithal etc).
I have a home made database where each bird sighting is associated with
a lat and long so that I can plot my bird sightings onto maps.  The
problem is that at present I need maps which have square lat long grids
on them (so that I can just plot my sightings onto an x/y graph with lat
the y and long the x and overlay a map image).  I have only found
victorian and australian maps with such 'square' projection (one from
the atlas of Vic birds and the other from the handbook of australian
birds Passerines volume) and for sightings in these zones it works
really well.  I can't find any appropriate maps for other countries or
states.  Of course I wouldn't need 'square' projection maps if I knew
how to do the transformations used in atlasses and I would have a large
range of maps to choose from.  So is it possible to know what
mathematical transformations have been used on a given map and does
anyone know what they are?  Alternatively does anyone know of a source
of such 'square' projection maps for other australian states or
countries such as USA or South Africa?
Sorry that these questions are both poorly constructed and off topic.
John Boyce
--

John Boyce
Department of Microbiology