birding-aus

1080

To: <>
Subject: 1080
From: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:37:12 +1000
Your original post suggested that cats or dogs are several orders of
magnitude more abundant than foxes.  If there are 50,000 dogs in Brisbane,
your assessment implies that there are about 500 foxes in Brisbane.  There
would certainly be more than 500 foxes in Brisbane.  In suggesting that
foxes are very common in Brisbane, I mean that, for a top level predator,
they are very common.  Compared with estimates of fox density from other
locations, it can also be said that foxes are very common in Brisbane.
10,000 is not too likely, but I wouldn't rule this out as a possibility for
greater Brisbane.  As far as I know, no exhaustive surveys have been
undertaken for GB.

As far as diet goes, few studies have been done in the Brisbane area, and
not many have been done in urban areas generally.  Best work comes from
Melbourne.  One study I was involved in looked at scat samples from the
Boondall wetlands and surrounds.  The most common vertebrate remains in fox
scats in that study were bandicoot.  Still common around Brisbane, but in
southern populations centres, disappearing, and foxes are heavily
implicated. Surprisingly, the remains contained no evidence of hares.

Brush Turkeys?  As I understand it, recruitment for Brush Turkeys in
suburban Brisbane is low, and it has been suggested that the birds seen in
the outer suburbs move into these areas from outlying forest.  I havn't seen
any evidence to prove or disprove the idea that foxes take Brush Turkeys.
The fact that we see Turkeys around the 'burbs is not necessarily evidence
of a lack of predation.  Foxes could be picking the Turkeys off, providing
vacant territories for birds dispersing from outlying forest areas.  Perhaps
these vacant territories are rapidly filled by 'new' birds, conveying the
impression that individual birds survive in an area year after year.  Are
the Turkeys we see from one year to the next the same birds, or 'new' birds
which have taken up vacant territories?   I also repeat what I said
previously about eggs.  Foxes love eggs, and eggs in a large heap of
decaying organic material....?  You can't tell me that isnt likely to
attract foxes.

Scott O'Keeffe