birding-aus

1080

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: 1080
From: Laurie & Leanne Knight <>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 19:49:22 +1000
On the subject of cat and fox predation, I find it interesting that most
of the bush turkeys [and active mounds] I come across in SEQ are on the
fringes of human habitation - they live in the Brisbane CBD [in the
botanical gardens and Spring Hill parks], and are common round Mt
Mravatt, Indooroopilly, Bardon etc, and picnic grounds adjacent to
rainforest - eg Malaney, Mt Nebo, Binna Burra.

On the other hand, I hardly ever see a turkey when I am out bushwalking.

I suspect that the reason that turkeys are doing OK in suburbia is that
they not only have access to food, but have little predation from
foxes.  Presumably the domestic moggies aren't the sort of threat their
feral relatives are.

LK