birding-aus

First Blackbird calls in Melbourne

To: Rory Poulter - Atlas Project <>, birding <>, Keith Johnson <>, ken & vivien harris <>
Subject: First Blackbird calls in Melbourne
From: Laurence Living <>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:03:43 +1000
Hi Rory

Blackbirds started calling in earnest in The Dandenongs [40 kms east of
Melbourne] about the same time as your report, last week.

But the invasive common mynah [the species has moved up the Mountain highway
this year onto the edge of the Dandenong Ranges National Park] started strong
early morning calling 2-3 weeks ago.

I have read that the mynah tries to nest earlier than the native bird species
to reduce challenges for nesting hollows........is this correct?

And what can we do to stop the tide of this 'feral' from establishing itself in
our area?

Any suggestions for getting rid of it?

Cheers

Laurie Living