birding-aus

Feathers

To: "Robert Read" <>, <>
Subject: Feathers
From: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 23:00:25 +1000
> An unfortunate consequence is that it is illegal to pick up road-kills to
> pass them on to museums, even though the museums are very happy to get
> specimens in good condition.

Apparently it is also possible to get a permit which would allow you to do
this, ie. dispose of dead specimens to a legitimate repository (museums,
etc.).  Probably a bit of a rigamarole unless you're really keen I agree -
but it's there as an option.

There are issues of feather collecting which continue to be a problem in the
present, as well as the well known sins of the past (aigrette, etc.).
Certain fly fishing lures require particular, often scarce, bird feathers
for their manufacture.  Certain species of cotinga from South America have
this as a significant endangering process now, and the value of the highly
modified purplish back feathers from one species demand enormous prices.  I
don't know whether any Australian species feature in the fly tying caper,
but it's an example of an ongoing reason to regulate the collecting of
feathers.

I still have the odd feather tucked in my hatband from time to time.  They
are such lovely things.  Live dangerously ........

L A W R I E   C O N O L E
2/37 Myrnong Crescent, Ascot Vale, Victoria 3032 AUSTRALIA.
Phone AH (03) 9370 3928; BH (03) 9510 5750; Mobile (0419) 588 993.
E-mail:  <>
Web page:  http://www.bluep.com/~oco/