birding-aus

Bird Publicity

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Bird Publicity
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:53:07 -0800 (PST)
G'day All,

Re: Bird Publicity:

If there is one type of publicity (advertising) that
stands alone from all other forms it's word of mouth.
If a friend says to you hey you should get over to
French Island to see the "Brolga's" you'd more then
likely go after them because he told you exactly where
the Brolga's were, right?

But if you want or wish to raise public awareness then
here are a few methods I've used in my life that have
worked very successfully.

1. Make contact with your local Newspaper, be it the
free one you get shoved in your mailbox or the one you
would purchase. Ask to speak with the person
responsible for editing human interest stories. Tell
them of your plans for your area of the world.

2. Contact your local radio station, be prepared to
make up your own voice tape, to me there is no other
radio network on this planet better then the ABC yep
Tones I think it's better then the Beeb Beeb Sea :-]

3. Contact your local help groups, check out the
yellow pages or ask the local newspaper editor.

4. Give talks to local groups.

5. Talk to your local schools, once you have a young
heart captured you've got it for life, so nurture it.

6. Involve your local council.

7. Run some competitions, it's very easy to get help
with sponsors, ask those that you make your purchases
from? be it food shops or whatever. If they think they
are going to lose your trade then watch the difference
in their approach to you.

8. Point out to all that birding tourism in the USA
only, is now worth over 1 billion dollars per year.

9. Tell many that Americans love to travel, many also
love to travel to see birds, Australia has the most
species in one location on planet earth.

10. Organize whacky or crazy events to raise interest
in the media to show what lengths you are prepared to
go to help Oz birds.

If you fail with all the above then give me an email
okay and lets see what we can do.

John A. Gamblin