birding-aus

Bird Publicity

To: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Subject: Bird Publicity
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:43:19 +1100
Hello Julie

Thank you for your comment. It raises the point of a role filled by bird clubs. As a person who grew up in a family to which a bird was something bought at a supermarket and cooked, and to which my hobby  was something of an oddity, I can only envy the family background surrounding your daughter. I had to wait until my retirement to be able to indulge my special interest in birds.The discovery that such clubs existed was indeed news to me. I was surprised to find that here was this sort of extended family within which a whole range of related interests could be openly shared -----it was a revelation!!
Since joining my particular club (NSWFOC) whole new vistas have opened. It has been possible to experience people and places I had only dreamed about (and some that I hadn't).
I am sure that my "road to Damascus" story is shared by many others (see David Siems letter) and I think that something more than word-of-mouth is probably needed to allow others to become aware of this potential.

Best wishes

Reg
St.Ives. NSW

Sent: Friday, 10 November 2000 9:28