birding-aus

Bird Publicity

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Bird Publicity
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 16:41:23 -0800 (PST)
Don't hold me to this everyone but in response to some
of the issues raised by many. Some quick research
shows millions of Americans partake in the pursuit of
Birding each weekend. Over 3 million, each weekend
nowadays head off out during spring, summer and autumn
months, into the American Bush, :-], to gaze at their
Flickers, Oreo's (Orioles) and Blue Jays.

It is referred to "Birding" over there, which covers
nearly all aspects of caring for and watching wild
birds, and it's very very much on the increase. Data
shows an increase of seven per cent in numbers per
annum. What has got me going at the moment is why does
it cost 1,100 Oz dollars to fly Melbin/London/Melbin
and yet more then double that to fly OZ/USA/OZ a much
shorter distance? weird eh? if were seriously trying
to attract more tourists to spend more cash in Oz on
birding then ???????

If you would like any more USA birding info just email
me. Seems ripe for any small Oz business but stymied
by the air fare cost? and why?

Could I add to Davids email, below, that one of the
USA's premier birding books is cawled :-] bad pun on a
friday but intended, due to sounds made to me over the
phone recently by my ALL BLACK USA children raised by
Hilary of Washington, who was born a KIWI.

"Birds and Blooms" my humble opinion is it's brilliant
why because much like my cherished and loved Ozbeeb no
adverts. Plus a wealth of info from all USA citizens
along the same style format as this list.

If you would like the website address for it just
email me.

John A. Gamblin.

David Siems <> wrote:

Hi Netters,
Edwin Vella said in part "There is very little
interest in birds in Australia compared to overseas".
I may stand corrected but I believe the first edition
of Simpson and Day sold over 300,000 copies? If so,
who bought them and this maybe the reason. I have
watched birds as long as I can remember. In 1985 when
planning a trip to Egypt I decided to do a course on
Egypt at the Sydney University. In the brochure was an
ad "Birdwatching for beginners" with Terry Lindsey. At
the end of the course Terry suggested to the class
that we join a bird club. He gave us NSWFOC and
Cumberland. At
my first meeting of the NSWFOC I couldn't believe so
many other people liked birds and this opened up a
whole new world for me. I thought "Why are
birdwatching clubs kept a secret?" If private
companies know the value of advertising, then I think
birdwatching clubs need to move out into this part of
the world to inform bird lovers who don't know about
bird clubs. I would like a dollar for the number of
times new members have
said "I didn't know there were bird clubs".

All the Best
David Siems