birding-aus

Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) in Hunter Valley

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) in Hunter Valley
From: "Paul Taylor" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 07:19:59 +1100
> I say this despite my feeling they are lovely birds (one for a
> girl, two for a boy......). I have never seen the Azure-winged
> Magpie (Cyanopica cyanus) which is endemic to the Iberian
> Peninsula. Given its existence I cannot understand the "Eurasian
> Magpie" common name for Pica pica.

The common name used on the BOU (British Ornithologists Union) and
USA checklists is Black-billed Magpie; this is a more sensible name
IMO, particularly in the USA where the Yellow-billed Magpie (Pica
nuttalli) is also present.  Curiously, they are only found in Western
USA (the Yellow-billed is restricted to California), indicating that
they must have arrived there from Asia, not Europe.

I saw Black-billed Magpies in Kew Gardens, England, earlier this year;
they are a stunning bird, both were highlight of the two days(!) I spent
in London.