birding-aus

Pelicans and Lake Eyre

Subject: Pelicans and Lake Eyre
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 13:23:33 +1100
At 9:41 AM +1000 22/5/00,  wrote:
>Dear all
>
>I like many after seeing the 60 Minutes story, are keen to plan a trip out to
>see Lake Eyre.
>
>Q1   Has anyone made the trip out there already, particularly from Sydney?
>I'd
>like to know   you impressions, which route is quickest, how long does it
>take,
>whats the accomodation   like etc.

Paul and others,

As some of you have already read, I drove to the south-eastern edge of Lake
Eyre North earlier this month. Paul, you can read my report on the
Birding-aus Archives, titled "Trip Report: Inland South Australia". My
advice for anyone wanting to see the water is to take a scenic flight -
from the TV footage we've all seen, it looks spectacular. Flights can be
booked from Marree or William Creek.

When I drove to Level Post Bay, via Muloorina station north from Marree,
some water was visible in the distance in Lake Eyre South. At Level Post
Bay on Lake Eyre North, the water was a long way away, in fact you almost
needed binoculars to see it. Walking across the lake bed towards the water
was difficult as the ground was sticky so I didn't attempt to get to the
water. I was told that the lake was expected to reach 80 percent full in
about 6 weeks (4 weeks now) - I don't know how close that will bring the
water to the shore. I also don't know how high the water is at Halligan Bay
east of William Creek. Anyone been there recently?

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions, but my experience is
limited to the Marree/Muloorina area.

Cheers,
Carol

Carol Probets