birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Long-billed Corellas in Perth

Subject: Re: birding-aus Long-billed Corellas in Perth
From: Frank OConnor <>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 06:44:45 +0800 (WST)

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999  wrote:

>  It has been interesting watching the discussion on corellas also  use the
> common name Western Long billed corella , for a sub species of corella It is
> a different species to the Victorian  long bills though .  My guess would be
> that the birds  in Question are indigenous  even if individual birds  had
> escaped they would probably have flocked up with local birds with which they
> could certainly  cross breed  I have seen  a sulphur X little and would bet a
> corellaX   to be highly probable . Long billed corellas are know regularly
> seen in Templestowe along the Yarra usually in a mixed flock with Sulphurs .
> I usually hear there distinctive calls before  I see them not realising they
> are included in the flock . I wonder if they have also come from aviary
> escapes . Victoria wide they seem to have definitely increased in numbers
> over the past years  Formerly being considered endangered although locally
> common in some areas

The whole point of my posting is that Western Corella is a different
species to Long-billed Corella.  The birds that Tony Russell quite
correctly identified as Long-billed Corellas (and hence his original
query) are INTRODUCED / ESCAPED and are on the increase.

The Western Corella was split from Little Corellas in the last list from
Christidis & Boles (1994?).

I apologise to Alex about missing the reference to Serventy & Whittell.  I
am using PINE to read my mail while at work, and I didn't realise his
posting had more than one screenful so I missed that part of his message
quoting this reference totally.  Until this I have never heard anyone
mention that the Western Corella was formerly common on the Swan Coastal
Plain (and hence Perth).

Maybe it is time for a new thread ... perhaps what species I will see on
Lake Argyle this weekend ...

Frank O'Connor

quotes)