birding-aus

birding-aus Long-billed Corellas in Perth

Subject: birding-aus Long-billed Corellas in Perth
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:36:20 +0900
Hi all,
        What do any of you know about a flock of (feral?) Long-billed Corellas
at
Lake Joondalup in the northern suburbs of Perth?
        Whilst there two weeks ago my companions and I were amazed to find a
flock
of around 40 in a recreation area at the west side of the lake. They seemed
very habituated to human presence with kids running through their midst,
looked very fat and healthy ( birds, not the kids ), and were doing their
frequent thing of ripping up the lawns, presumably feeding. Our observation
was that they had a slightly larger and darker red in their throat
underfeathers but were otherwise similar to the ones normally seen in the
SE of SA and in Vic.
        None of my field guides mention this population although Pizzey does
mention some near Sydney, in north coastal NSW, and in Brisbane.I don't
know whether HANZAB ( who can afford it?) mentions the Perth ones.
Does anyone else have records of these birds, and if so, why don't they get
a mention in the field guides?
        It also seems strange that WA, with it's record of keeping out other
ferals, doesn't have it's agricultural authorities out with their poisons
and popguns knocking them off as is happening in Victoria and South Aust
currently.

Cheers. Tony.

ps.Could it be that the birding authorities in the Eastern States consider
Perth to be a too distant colonial outpost to rate a mention as part of
Australasia? Oooops!
Tony Russell,
45, Ridgefield Ave.,
Paradise.