birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Goonoo

Subject: birding-aus Re: Goonoo
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:18:29 +1000
Brian

I think you misunderstood what I was saying.  I was not implying that the
NPA were jumping onto the bandwagon, in fact I would be very disappointed
if the NPA were not pursuing this issue (it will certainly be discussed at
the next Regent Honeyeater Recovery Team meeting next week).

The point I was making was that many birdwatchers tend to jump into these
things without being aware of the issues and facts.  The first posting I
saw (and responded to) made a big thing about Regent Honeyeaters.  This is
NOT something opponents to harvesting in Goonoo should be relying on.  I
had a long discussion with Beth Williams the other day when she rang to
check details of this pair of birds.  As I said to her, I have only three
reported sightings of Regents within 50 km of Goonoo on my database (this
is the most comprehensive database of Regent Honeyeater sightings) the
others were of a pair nesting in Duboo itself and a single bird south-west
of Duboo.  The other sightings within 100 km are at the Wurrumbungles.

To reiterate, my point is that people should make themselves fully
conversant with the facts.  Indeed, I think it better that campaigns such
as this are led by organisations such as NPA who have the resources to
ensure that the relevant facts are put forward.  It would be a pity to see
solid arguments undermined by a series of well meaning but misinformed
submissions.

Good luck

David

quotes)