birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Re: Spotted Bowerbird record in SE Qld

To: palliser <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Re: Spotted Bowerbird record in SE Qld
From: Mike Owen <>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 22:29:34 +1000
birding-aus

palliser wrote:

> This brings me to another subject regarding escapees, perhaps someone could
> help answer?
>
> 1. What native birds are you allowed to keep in captivity?  Is Spotted
> Bowerbird on the list?

In Queensland, only finches, parrots, ducks, quail, doves and
pigeons can be kept, and not all members of those groups. No
softbills, raptors, and definately not bowerbirds.  Each state
varies, NSW probably has the most extensive list, but still
prohibits the keeping of a very extensive list of birds.  I
believe SA also has a quite extensive list, but don't know the
details, and have little idea of VIC or WA but believe they are
quite restrictive, although QLD seems the most restrictive of all
states.  The last figures I saw for NSW were dated May 1995, and
18 Spotted Bowerbirds were registered with the NWS NPWS at that
time, along with 94 Regent and 138 Satin Bowerbirds.  Most of
these I suspect were in faunal parks and zoos such as
Featherdale.

> 2. What unusual Australian birds have you seen in captivity and where?

6 Kookaburras in a bird dealer in Yorkshire, England, all
laughing at the top of their voice in a small room.  Apparently
the biggest breeder of Kookaburras in North America lives in
Anchorage, Alasaka, and has about 6 breeding pairs (they breed
easily in captivity) in her family room!

cheers,

Mike Owen
Queensland

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)