birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Re: Spotted Bowerbird record in SE Qld

To: palliser <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Re: Spotted Bowerbird record in SE Qld
From: "Paul McDonald" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:20:09 +1100
birding-aus

Date sent:              Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:56:51 +1100
To:                     Mike & Judy Hines <>
From:                   palliser <>
Copies to:

> 3. What unusual escaped birds have you encountered where?

Hi all,

It was not unusual to see Princess Parrot, Major Mitchell Cockatoos and even
the odd wired and wonderful African parrot at reserves in and around southern
Wollongong where my parents live. It can be quite a heart stopper to hear and
then see a Princess Parrot, the mind starts "ticking" over very fast for a
split
second or so! When Chris Brandis first told me of this wierd and wonderful
sightings I thought they would be relatively uncommon and few and far
between, but it is amazing how commonly birds like this turn up, considering
the prices of the aforementioned cockatoos/parrots.

Blue budgies etc are also commonly seen, then there is the debate about the
Little Corellas on the south coast, there are large populations of well over
500/1000 in the Illawarra, yet are they from aviary stock originally or normal
movement/range extension? Or both, as I favour?

Cheers, Paul
Paul McDonald
Department of Biological Sciences
Macquarie University, Sydney NSW, 2109
Australia
Phone: (02) 9850 8191 Fax: (02) 9850 8245

http://www.bio.mq.edu.au/ecology/