birding-aus

Favourite Birds

To: <>
Subject: Favourite Birds
From: "Mark Taylor" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:16:52 +1100
Great reading on the list of favourites.
It's easy for me to choose number one; The Gang Gang Cockatoo. Forever
playful and tame ...A family visits our backyard for 3-4 months each year
in Diamond Creek (Suburban Melbourne) for 8 years, starting with a pair,
the gtroup now numbers 18 birds. Attracted by a safe drinking point and a
large Brown Stringybark which by mid-March has been half shredded .In the
district, the Hawthorn hedges provide fruit. The juveniles arrive in
January, followed by parents and fledglings in February. Interestingly, no
children at all this year.
Other backyard birds in no particular order.
Yellow tailed Black Cockatoo. Haven't seen them since the council commenced
removal of large pine trees
Rose Robin
Olive Whistler. Saw it once as it hopped over my toes in the vege garden
Spine tailed Swift. or whatever its called now.
The Dollarbird that propped for a day
The territorial wars between the Bell and Noisy Miners.