birding-aus

Re: favourite birds

Subject: Re: favourite birds
From: Peregrine <>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 05:27:14 -0500 (EST)
my current fave australian birds are:

Eastern Whipbird (coolest song/call)
Logrunner (best behaviour)
Magpie Lark (for character)
Supurb Fairy-wren (colour and character)
Diamond Firetail (most fashionable use of colour)
Wedge-tailed Shearwater (most beautiful flight)
Rainbow Bee-eater (nice any way you look at them)
Rose Robin (just a stunner)

for North America though, I'm biased towards our winter arctic
birds...the best ones from the past few years while I was home were:

Great Grey Owl
Snowy Owl
Boreal Owl
Snow Buntings
King Eider
Ivory Gull (that one that showed up in Portland Maine last year)
Barrow's Goldeneye
Red-headed Woodpecker

and of course the cross cultureal ones:

Ruddy Turnstones (for behaviour)
Peregrine Falcon
Osprey

just out of curiosity, where are those south american lists?

Katie Bertsche

Katie Bertsche .........If you're too busy to go birding, you're too busy.
Sydney, NSW, Australia

http://www.bowdoin.edu/~kbertsch