birding-aus

Re: large tailed nightjar wheelies...

To: WM James Davis <>
Subject: Re: large tailed nightjar wheelies...
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 07:47:53 +1000 (EST)
Actually it was more of a back flip, performed twice in an interval of
about a minute apart just above the treetops.  The bird appeared to swing
it's tailbeneath its body and turn over; i couldn't see any other bird
watching but then who knows ......

I returned the following evening with 2 other birders and we located the
bird with another (presumably female) also up to 4 others in the patch of
scrub near the river.  There was none of the exuberant display of the
previous night so either he was tired out or having attracted a mate felt
no further need to show off.  The pair flew out over the treetops together
but we couldn't detect a courtship dance.

On the third night (word had got around) a visiting birder from South
Australia got splendid views of the male bird - again hanging from
the fence posts and calling.  We haven't been back since but I hope to go
out again tonight if circumstances permit.

Question; do north american nightjars perform "wheelies" and backflips?

Cheers