birding-aus

Re: Coxen's Fig-Parrot

To: "Tony Clarke" <>
Subject: Re: Coxen's Fig-Parrot
From: "Glen Ingram" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 08:58:41 +1000
Dear Tony,
If the PSC (phylogenetic species concept) comes to Australia, the next door
budgie will be a new species too! But if that is what people want, I am
delighted to be paid for it. I have nothing but respect for the techniques
involved but the concept, itself, is naive. Also, I think the California
Condor project (and its success) was gallant and outstanding for
humans.

But that is not the point: the problem with Coxen's Figparrots is whether
its recent sightings should be listed with paranormal fauna? There is good
evidence that the bird has gone to meet Darwin: it's extinct and
pushing up the daisies.

Thus, the question: Are Government agencies flogging a dead parrot with
precious quids?

Similarly, with the people who see the parrot: should they be analyzed for
wakeful, dream-sequencing brought on by powerful, wish-fulfillment
behaviours. This type of investigation has shown excellent explanatory
power with people who claim to have been kidnapped by aliens. There was a
good article on our paranormal fauna and this by Ralph Molnar and Greg
Czechura in the Australian Skeptics many years ago.

Shoot me down in flames if I am wrong, but Coxen's Figparrot sightings are
remarkably like fish stories: the one that got away - and what a shame no
one else saw it.

Best wishes

Glen Ingram
Annerley, Australia.

"My other computer is a scarlet-sided pobblebonk."