birding-aus

chop ...chop....chop...

Subject: chop ...chop....chop...
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 08:06:06 +1000 (EST)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 07:59:21 +1000 (EST)
From: Alexandra Appleman <>

Yesterday around dusk (6.30pm here in Townsville, 19 degrees south of the
equator) I got the best views ever of a male large tailed nightjar calling
and doing wheelies at the mangroves near 'National Park' in the suburb of
Railway Estate.

The bird perched on the fence of a nearby construction site for several
minutes so that I could see not only the white panes on the tail, but also
that this particular bird has quite a pronounced white throat.  This is the
first time I had seen one perched as opposed to darting through the trees
with amazing acrobatic agility.  It hung there in a similar manner to a
treecreeper.

Pizzey and Knight list the bird as common in rainforest but patchily
distributed south of Ingham.  As well as 'National Park' the nightjar can
be found during the breeding season at Pallarenda on the coast.

Hans and Helen:

"National Park" is an area of open space fronting onto the Ross River. To
get there take the Port Road towards the city; at the Queens Road / Putt
Street lights turn right (there is a foodstore on the corner) then right
then left into Doorey Street.  This takes you down to the park.  The best
place to see the nightjar is near the boat ramp at the eastern end.

In addition to the nightjar you can witness the nightly exodus of
thousands of black flying foxes leaving their roosts on the southern bank.

John and I will be there again tonight around 6.20 pm - don't forget
the aerogard as the sandflies are very attentive.

Alex Appleman
Townsville