Re: DIY Hydrophone

Subject: Re: DIY Hydrophone
From: brianinnes81
Date: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:19 am ((PDT))
As an update, it looks like I've now got my DIY hydrophone assembled.

I totally changed my plan, rather than build a "stereo" hydrophone, I've si=
mplified the design so that it uses a single 20mm piezo transducer and a si=
ngle 32mm plastic plumbing end cap as the enclosure.

I put two thin foam discs on the rear of the peizo, prior to soldering the =
audio wires to it.

1/lightbox/338617746?orderBy=3Dordinal&sortOrder=3Dasc&photoFilter=3DALL# h=
ttps://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/naturerecordists/photos/albums/433813111=
/lightbox/338617746?orderBy=3Dordinal&sortOrder=3Dasc&photoFilter=3DALL#

The end cap was filmed with hot melt  - perhaps I should have used a runnie=
r epoxy, as I was concerned the hot melt glue would have melted the audio c=
able - thankfully this seems to not have happened! The hotmelt glue was put=
 in so that the outside of the piezo was flush with the open end of the plu=
mbing endcap.  I then put a thin layer of epoxy over this to seal it.

The piezo preamp I linked to in my earlier message arrived, so I'm pretty m=
uch ready to go, just need a 3.5mm jack socket to let me hook up the hydrop=
hone to the amp. Will probably a suitably sized boiled sweets tin for the e=
nclosure of the amplifier.

Looking forward to testing this out :-)

Regards,  Brian.

<*> Your email settings: