DIY Hydrophone

Subject: DIY Hydrophone
From: brianinnes81
Date: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:15 pm ((PDT))
I thought this may be of interest.=0D
=0D
At the moment I'm working on a DIY hydrophone. I'll be using 21mm piezo ele=
ctric transducers as "contact mics", which I'll be securing inside a home b=
uilt enclosure - basically a length of 32mm plumbing tubing, with cut down =
end caps glued at either end.  =0D
=0D
I've uploaded some photos to the group website here (hopefully link should =
work)=0D
=0D
=0D
 https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/naturerecordists/photos/albums/4338131=
11/lightbox/260534497?orderBy=3Dordinal&sortOrder=3Dasc&photoFilter=3DALL# =
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/naturerecordists/photos/albums/43381311=
1/lightbox/260534497?orderBy=3Dordinal&sortOrder=3Dasc&photoFilter=3DALL#=
=0D
=0D
My recorder is an Olympus LS14, so I'm unsure whether it will need preamp o=
r something for the piezo transducers to give a decent enough signal for a =
good recording level.=0D
=0D
Anything else I need to consider? If I fill the interior of the enclosure w=
ith epoxy resin to make it waterproof, will that impact on the signal from =
the transducers?=0D
=0D
Regards,=0D
=0D