Re: Recorder suggestions?

Subject: Re: Recorder suggestions?
From: robin_parmar_sound
Date: Mon Feb 6, 2017 6:20 am ((PST))
The LS10/11 are better units: slimmer, metal body, very slightly improved s=
pecs. But the LS14 is less expensive and has a couple of convenience featur=
es that actually make sense. =0D
=0D
I have three portable recorders that take XLR mics but find I use them abou=
t 5% of the time. The extra bulk of the mics, cables, stands, wind protecti=
on, and the recorders themselves is significant. And then a bag to put ever=
ything in. A professional can justify this with a pay-cheque. =0D
=0D
Whereas I carry a compact recorder with an EM172 pair everywhere. Yes, ther=
e is a difference in the sound, but it's not significant for *most* purpose=
s. =0D
=0D
If you are thinking about a 4-channel recorder so you can use safety channe=
ls, it just isn't necessary with some experience. With 24 bits of dynamic r=
ange you can set the levels low enough that only very loud transients might=
 peak. For example, the crack of a twig close by the recorder if you are ot=
herwise recording forest ambiance. Even then, the clipping is not always of=
fensive, since it's basically an impulse anyway (with no interesting timbra=
l content). =0D
=0D
-- Robin Parmar