Re: Need advice on how best to use MKH 8020s in the field

Subject: Re: Need advice on how best to use MKH 8020s in the field
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Mon Feb 6, 2017 3:26 am ((PST))
Eric, you wrote,

> The SASS and the Jecklin disk and the sphere microphone all fall into the=
 category of separation body microphones.

Yes, I use the term =93spaced omnis with barrier=94 for the class of arrays=
.

> That is, omnidirectional microphones, although they are inherently great =
microphones, don't lend themselves to making good stereo recordings. The di=
ffraction of the separation body gives the microphones directionality. My e=
xperiences with a Jecklin disk relative to a sphere microphone are that the=
 disk separates the sound field into distinct left and right halves. The sp=
here has a bit of the same problem but not nearly so bad.

My experience with Jecklin disks has been quite the opposite of =93bad,=94 =
but I=92ve never tried a sphere, so maybe I don=92t know what I=92m missing=
.

> In my experience, the best microphone array by far for making live stereo=
phonic recordings is the ORTF array.

I recall an AES paper many years ago in which the ORTF array got the highes=
t marks for accurate positioning of sources in a panorama. I don=92t rememb=
er if those experiments included the Jecklin disk, though. Not near my file=
s at the moment.

-Dan