Re: Thought Experiment to Benefit Those Starting Out in the Hobby...

Subject: Re: Thought Experiment to Benefit Those Starting Out in the Hobby...
From: "Jim Mooney" jmooney776
Date: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:28 pm ((PST))
Thanks Chris!

That=E2=80=99s really good advice and I will do that.  Right now my interes=
t is in ambient sound mostly but as we know, interests can change.  I look =
at it as an extension of what I like to take photographs of, things I enjoy=
 and want to preserve a moment of for memories.

Best,

Jim

> On Jan 28, 2017, at 10:05 AM,  [naturerecordists] <nat=
> wrote:
>
> Jim,
>

> Some great advice so far.  But before I followed any of that advice (exce=
pt maybe a couple of memory cards), I would sit down and figure out where I=
 want to go with this hobby.

> Each of us comes here with slightly different goals in their recording.  =
Each of these specific goals may lead you down a different "gear acquisitio=
n trajectory".   Some of us immediately jump to a shotgun mic or parabola f=
or isolation of specific species.  Others are interested in creating the mo=
st natural sounding "image" of the world we experience.  Yet others are int=
erested in understanding the unheard parts of the natural biophany (infraso=
und, ultrasound).  They are many wonderful things to enjoy about nature rec=
ording.  You need to consider where you want to start to help you decide.

> You have a capable, portable and quiet stereo recording setup already.  M=
aybe get outside a bit, make some recordings and when you listen to them yo=
u will find yourself saying "Darn, I wish I had been able to capture /more =
______ / less _______ / the sense of _______/ etc. in this recording!"   Th=
at will tell you what your next acquisition should be.

> Lastly, as you progress, never be dependent on a single piece of gear for=
 "important" recordings.  If you find yourself traveling to new and interes=
ting areas to make those once in a lifetime recordings, you don't want to m=
iss out because one piece of your gear fails.
> I lost my LS-10 recorder in the jungles of Ecuador halfway through my two=
 week trip there.  It was crushing to lose those recordings and not be able=
 to record the rest of the trip.
> From another "learning experience", I know own a Sony ICD-PX312 voice rec=
order that I bought at Walmart (the only store within 100 miles that sold r=
ecorders) when my LS-11 got soaked and stopped working on a recording trip =
to another state.  It isn't nearly as good as the LS-11, but it will take a=
 3.5mm mic and allowed me to keep enjoying my trip.  (The LS-11 was fine af=
ter a night in a bag with some desiccant).