Re: Thought Experiment to Benefit Those Starting Out in the Hobby...

Subject: Re: Thought Experiment to Benefit Those Starting Out in the Hobby...
From: inetd_conf
Date: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:26 pm ((PST))
Mundanities: =0D
=0D
 Memory cards (thanks, Peter!) - These can eventually crap out, so having s=
pares is good=0D
 Batteries - I like Eneloops, and keep several packs in my bag for swapouts=
=0D
 External battery - Overnight drop-and-recover recordings (dawn chorus) rea=
lly benefit from big power bricks=0D
 A bag - The ability to carry gear comfortably is a necessity=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Fun stuff:=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I'll second the EM-172 stereo mic recommendation from Tom Williams. These =
can be used as spaced omnis or tree ears, they can be crammed in hollow log=
s, lowered into drain pipes, stuck out of hotel windows, etc. Very very fle=
xible set of mics that sound great.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I'll add one more: Make a foam SASS like the one on Vicki Powys's web page=
 with holes sized to take the EM-172 mics. The foam necessary to build one =
of these is about $20, and the stereo image is tough to beat. Be sure to fa=
ctor in wind protection of some sort.=0D
 caperteebirder.com - birdsongs and landscapes http://caperteebirder.com/in=
dex.php?p=3D1_17_recording-gear-1 =0D
 =0D
 http://caperteebirder.com/index.php?p=3D1_17_recording-gear-1 =0D
 =0D
 caperteebirder.com - birdsongs and landscapes http://caperteebirder.com/in=
dex.php?p=3D1_17_recording-gear-1 Vicki Powys is a wildlife sound recordist=
 and landscape painter from Capertee Valley in New South Wales, Australia.=
=0D
 =0D
 =0D
 =0D
 View on caperteebirder.com http://caperteebirder.com/index.php?p=3D1_17_re=
cording-gear-1 =0D
 Preview by Yahoo =0D
 =0D
 =0D
  =0D
=0D
 All that makes for a very capable kit. Past that point I'd probably opt fo=
r a second recorder. It's nice, when hiking into a place, to have the optio=
n to set another recorder in an area that sounds interesting. A second used=
 LS-10 might just fit within your budget.=0D
 =0D
=0D