Re: Microphone for SONY M10

Subject: Re: Microphone for SONY M10
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:31 pm ((PDT))
Hi Tom,

Great to see some home builds, and your blogs are excellent.

Have you compared EM172s running to a small miniplug recorder eg Sony
M10, against your setup with 172s wired for XLR 48 volt input to
Tascam?  How much difference is there?

I would question the need for the isolator, if mics are on a fixed
tripod it should be OK?  I've never had any problems, but I do make
sure nothing will be tapping against the tripod legs e.g. grass,
branches.

Vicki

On 28/08/2016, at 6:22 AM,  [naturerecordists]
wrote:

> Ah! I might be able to help you there. Over on the micbuilders group
> there's a nice paper put together by Ricardo Lee that describes a
> circuit designed by David McGriffy for powering a variety of electret
> +FET capsules like the EM172. I wrote a blog post about building
> EM172 mics with XLR plugs based on their work:
>
> DIY Microphone: EM172 Capsule and XLR Plug
>

> This is how I wired up my SASS as well, putting David McGriffy's
> circuit on the back end of some XLR panel connectors fitted into the
> back of the unit. I don't really describe that part of the build,
> but you can see the results in this post:
>
> A Self-Contained Stereo Field Recording Setup
>

> Thanks for the heads-up on the AT4022 mics. One of the options I'm
> looking at right now is to pick up a pair of AT4022 mics and a used
> SD MicPre off of Ebay. (I can't afford a 702 right now.) I need to
> finish a couple of jobs before I can do that, though, so I've got
> some time.

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: