Re: Microphone for SONY M10

Subject: Re: Microphone for SONY M10
From: inetd_conf
Date: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:54 pm ((PDT))
To follow up on what gwapuffin wrote, I built a variation of Vicky's SASS u=
sing single EM172 caps. I think your PCM-M10 should have quieter preamps th=
an the recorder I used for these (that's a good thing), but here are a coup=
le of samples with that setup:

 Birdsong - Upper Waiakea Forest Reserve https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/=
birdsong-upper-waiakea-forest-reserve

 https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/birdsong-upper-waiakea-forest-reserve

 Birdsong - Upper Waiakea Forest Reserve https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/=
birdsong-upper-waiakea-forest-reserve Birdsong in the Upper Waiakea Forest =
Reserve the evening before International Dawn Chorus Day 2016.

 View on soundcloud.com https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/birdsong-upper-wa=
iakea-forest-reserve
 Preview by Yahoo

 Kua Bay Summer Waves https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/kua-bay-summer-wave=

 https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/kua-bay-summer-waves

 Kua Bay Summer Waves https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/kua-bay-summer-wave=
s Stereo ambient recording of summer waves at Kua Bay on the Big Island of =
Hawaii, USA

 View on soundcloud.com https://soundcloud.com/tnbenedict/kua-bay-summer-wa=
ves
 Preview by Yahoo

Most of the stereo samples on that Soundcloud account were made using that =
setup. (There are two mono recordings using contact mics and one stereo mad=
e using an Olson Wing. Skip those.)

 All in all I'm pleased as punch with the SASS. It provides a nice compromi=
se between a headphones-only binaural recording and a stereo recording that=
 can be played through speakers. The stereo localization is strong enough t=
o pick out individual birds, and the relatively bright sound of the EM172 c=
apsules plays nicely with bird calls. 20/20 hindsight being what it is, I k=
ind of wish I'd built it with a dual-capsule setup like Vicky did to help i=
mprove S/N.

 As far as using it goes, I really can't hand-hold microphones or even stan=
d near them when I'm recording. So I'm biased toward mounting everything on=
 a tripod or stand, starting things running, and walking away. So far this =
has worked really well.

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: