Re: Sony ECM-979 MS

Subject: Re: Sony ECM-979 MS
From: oatcruncher
Date: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:00 am ((PDT))
OK, the mic finally arrived yesterday morning, and I'm a bit concerned. On =
doing some quick tests it would appear that something is wrong, and I need =
a technical person's opinion please. What appears to be wrong is that the m=
ic has no stereo capability? I tried the simple test of talking into the mi=
c from the left, center and right, but on looking at the image in Audition =
the response looks to be equal on the 'left and right channels'. I had sort=
 of gathered from the very good responses of both Scott and Flawn that this=
 mic delivered an already decoded stereo image and decoding wasn't required=
?
I downloaded a Voxengo MS plugin with the intention of trying it in my Audi=
tion 3, but it wouldn't load? I did of course point the plug-in manager to =
the correct location and twice refreshed the list, but to no avail.
Another thing that I'm not sure about here is whether or not the wiring of =
the five pin plug is correct. There is horrendous handling noise. The wirin=
g follows this scheme:
The newly discovered pinouts of the 957's 5-pin XLR connector https://www.f=
lickr.com/photos/aaronazz/539888902/

 https://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronazz/539888902/

 The newly discovered pinouts of the 957's 5-pin XLR ... https://www.flickr=
.com/photos/aaronazz/539888902/ PROJECT: To improve my Sony ECM-957 MS Ster=
eo Microphone. I've always been annoyed by the use of the 5-pin XLR plug on=
 the Sony ECM-957 ...

 View on www.flickr.com https://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronazz/539888902/
 Preview by Yahoo

which I found on the tapersection site. What I don't know is what do the do=
tted lines mean? On my cable (2 separate cables into a 5 pin plug) the grou=
nd tag of the plug is not connected to anything, and I suspect that could b=
e why I'm getting the bad handling noise? This cable is clearly newly made =
and stupidly short, so if I keep and use it I'll make up a new one. This is=
 a pic of my plug:
lbums/168717161/lightbox/96276521?orderBy=3Dordinal&sortOrder=3Dasc&photoFi=
lter=3DALL#zax/96276521

61/lightbox/96276521?orderBy=3Dordinal&sortOrder=3Dasc&photoFilter=3DALL#za=
x/96276521

albums/168717161/lightbox/96276521?orderBy=3Dordinal&sortOrder=3Dasc&photoF=
ilter=3DALL#zax/96276521 Oops! Sorry, an error occurred while loading the c=
ontent.

sts/photos/albums/168717161/lightbox/96276521?orderBy=3Dordinal&sortOrder=
=3Dasc&photoFilter=3DALL#zax/96276521
 Preview by Yahoo

Any help on any of these questions would be dearly appreciated.
Max

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: