Re: Sony ECM-979 MS

Subject: Re: Sony ECM-979 MS
From: "Flawn Williams" flawn1951
Date: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:19 am ((PDT))
Max,

If you=92re getting audio out both channels, but not seeing/hearing any cha=
nge (other than crackle) when adjusting the width control, that means there=
 is something wrong with either the mic or with the cable you got with it.

Since it is battery-operated, the ECM-979 can probably be used with either =
a balanced cable that splits to two XLR 3 pin plugs, or one that is wired u=
nbalanced to a single stereo mini plug. Something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=3DRode+NT4+mini+cable&N=3D0&Initia=
lSearch=3Dyes&sts=3Dma&Top+Nav-Search=3D

A cable could also be wired from the 5-pin XLR to two balanced or unbalance=
d mono quarter-inch plugs if you had a recorder with that sort of mic input=
s.

Since you say you have an AT8022, do you have the cables that came with tha=
t one? Try those with the Sony mic. That should help settle whether the Son=
y mic or its cable is at fault.

I=92m not an expert on contact cleaner sprays, so can=92t help you there.

BTW I just used Google Images to look up ECM-979 and came up with a bunch o=
f interesting photos showing the exterior and interior of the mic. The thre=
e-position switch (Off/M/V) would be for =93music=94 or =93voice=94 EQ as w=
ell as power on/off control. And the interior pic shows the capsule array, =
which as I suspected is three cardioid capsules rather than a cardioid mid =
and a bidirectional side mic.

What surprised me here is that, unlike a lot of other Sony ECM series stere=
o mics, this model is =93side address=94. So you have to point the correct =
SIDE of the mic housing at the middle of your intended sound field, rather =
than pointing the end of the mic barrel at the sound. There is a little tri=
angle on the end cap that points in the direction of the middle of its ster=
eo image.

Side address mics are inherently more awkward to use handheld, so a handgri=
p or boom pole or stand is typically needed.

There are also third party elastic-band shock mounts available on eBay etc =
that would fit a mic barrel of that diameter.

=97Flawn

> On Jul 16, 2016, at 4:20 AM,  wrote:
>
> 2b. Re: Sony ECM-979 MS
>    Posted by:   oatcruncher
>    Date: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:16 am ((PDT))
>
> Hi Flawn,
> Many thanks for your reply. I'm really impressed with the detail you go i=
nto! As I've just posted to Scott, I'm not certain if this mic was original=
ly for use with an XLR pair, or a single stereo plug. If anybody on the lis=
t knows for sure I'd be very happy to hear. I appreciate your info on earth=
ing and shielding.
> Yes, the mic is battery powered, and the width control is a continuous ad=
justment from zero to 150. I forgot to turn the pause off when I first adju=
sted it (wearing headphones) and discovered it crackled badly, so your asse=
ssment that it might need need some turning to clear off corrosion could be=
 correct. I toyed with the idea of spraying some electrical contact spray i=
n, but haven't decided yet. On this subject, yes, I did try various positio=
ns for this pan adjustment, but all appeared to be the same at a cursory gl=
ance. I have two or three stereo mics, and with those (at least the AT8022 =
and AT825) the difference between left and right is very obvious, so the mo=
no-like response from this mic seems very odd to me. I'm beginning to suspe=
ct that I've wasted my money, but I'll play around a bit more with it, perh=
aps using a higher frequency tone, and maybe spray the pan pot, although ev=
en if I get rid of the noise I don't see that it'll cure the main problem?
> Re the barrel of the mic, it's very large comparative to other common mic=
s we use, so I'd have to be creative in supporting it!