Re: Binaural test

Subject: Re: Binaural test
From: "J. Charles Holt"
Date: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:46 am ((PDT))
Oliver,

It appears everyone is hearing something different. I=92m not surprised, re=
ally. Your interpretation of the sounds is accurate, even including the tru=
ck on the far right moving from rear to front (there=92s a road over there =
heading away from the gravel mining operation). I wonder how much of this i=
s because you were using earbuds for the sound as opposed to over the ear h=
eadphones, which might be altered by the pinna? I was told be one person th=
at if I didn=92t use models of my own pinna to make the recordings that the=
y were a waste of time=97I don=92t know what level of accuracy he=92s expec=
ting, but it ain=92t gonna happen. ;)

Yes, this was with my M10. I am continually amazed by that little recorder.=
 The battery life is phenomenal, the quality of the recording is excellent =
for the price, and it=92s small enough I can fit it in my pocket, which I=
=92ve done on more than one occasion while out on a hike (and then used a J=
oby GorillaPod to attach it out of sight to a tree in a quiet area to come =
back later and retrieve it).

Thanks for listening!

=96 Charles

tmail.com [naturerecordists] <> wrote:

> Charles,
>

> This is quite fun! To my ears, I definitely hear height information =96 b=
oth planes were clearly over head =96 but I can only detect a small differe=
nce front to back. I tried swapping ears, but each time the soundscape seem=
ed mostly centered within my head, front to back. Some of my favorites, as =
always with binaural recordings, are insects flying =93between=94 my ears. =
Another interesting moment for me is what sounds like a car door closing fa=
r off to the right and slightly behind. Is that what is was? Perhaps relate=
d is the conversation that appears around 17:20 from the same place which, =
at about 19:00, move closer and more behind but still to the right, yes? Th=
e most clear front-to-back effect, to my ears, is at the very end of the cu=
t: there is a truck which is far right and moves from back to front. This s=
uggest another method of testing modifications: place the rig next to a roa=
d with the head facing in the direction of traffic.

> My favorite part of this recording is the sense of depth to the sound; di=
stant sounds do indeed sound quite distant!

> I listened with Etymotic earphones placed in my ear canals, by the way.
>

> One of the problems with binaural, it seems to me, is that the soundscape=
 doesn=92t move with the listener=92s head movement. This would seem to be =
the final, critical aspect to trick the brain into hearing a real soundscap=
e. I believe I=92ve read recently about some efforts to do just this with V=
R types of games using SoundField mic techniques.

> This was with your M10, yes? I just picked one up and plan to take it wit=
h me on an upcoming month-long hike of Vermont=92s Long Trail. I often use =
Bernie Krause=92s trick of strapping mics on either side of a tree for a qu=
asi-binaural effect.