Re: Approaching Stampede :)

Subject: Re: Approaching Stampede :)
From: madl74
Date: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:20 am ((PDT))
> Can you join 2 stereo mic's together and have them creating a single soun=
d file?

Phil,

Not by directly wiring then together. What you need is a mixer which
combines the two inputs with volume controls.

The cheapest type is a "passive mixer" which is just two volume controls
wired together, but you lose a lot of level, and on quiet sounds this means=

recording at a high level and hence more hiss.

A proper portable mixer has anything from two input channels to five or mor=
with from one zero in the price to three for pro gear.

The neatest solution is to use a recorder with a built in mixer, or a four=

track recorder when you do the mixing later.

> I sent an e-mail asking about the distance pickup on the " Zoom H5 Handy =
Recorder" to B&H. They said, (and I quote) The maximum capture range for au=
dio signals for the Zoom H5 IS 25ft. optimal range is between 8-15ft. outdo=
ors.

This is an odd reply because the useable distance depends on the background=

noise and the source sound level. In traffic, the range would be in inches,=

but in a quiet location, you can record good birdsong, etc. at over 100
feet. Their reply probably is an estimate for speech.

With buying mics, I would advise buying used ones which you can sell again=

at little loss. You can also try various types like gunmics and stereo mics=

and see what suits best with what you want to record.

Don't be put off buying cheaper mics as you can upgrade later. There is a
steep upward curve with quality, with some quite good mid range mics to
choose from. I've got a range of used Sennheiser MKH mics which are
excellent, but you can get similar good mics at a fraction of that cost.

David Brinicombe