Re: Approaching Stampede :)

Subject: Re: Approaching Stampede :)
From: "J. Charles Holt"
Date: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:34 am ((PDT))
Phil,

A shotgun mic would be great for this kind of video recording, but you won'=
t get any directionality (the horses going to the side) without stereo. My =
recommendation would be something like the Rode Stereo Vidmic Pro: http://w=
ww.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VideoMProST?adpos=3D1o1&creative=3D556739407=
21&device=3Dm&matchtype=3D&network=3Dg&gclid=3DCPz-_aC-nsYCFY81aQodqncFIg

The good news is that Rode is located in Australia, so you shouldn't have t=
o go crazy on shipping.

Keep in mind I'm new to this myself and others will likely have better sugg=
estions.

- Charles

(Pardon my terseness or typos, this was sent from my iPhone.)

> On Jun 20, 2015, at 8:25 AM,  [naturerecordists] <natu=
> wrote:
>
> Hi all.
> I'm new here and not a huge natural sound guy because 99% of my videos ar=
e to music ("Johann Strauss II" mostly, my father loved it).

> I bought a new video camera not long ago (Panasonic HC-X1000), so I will =
be doing a lot more videos with sound, both instructional (I have a Sennhei=
ser ew 112 & 122-p G3), and natural (not sure on mic yet).

> Here is my dilemma. I'm a horse breeder and sometimes I get the opportuni=
ty to get a bit of video that would be a lot better with its natural sounds=
.
> I'm sure you can imagine this would be better with sound!
> (my sister took this bit of video and panicked at 0:42 )
>
> Bfd Brokeford Mares June 2011
>

> Bfd Brokeford Mares June 2011
> Brokeford mares coming up to say hello. No cameramen where injured in the=
 making of this video. Holsteiner sport horses for performance.
> View on www.youtube.com
> Preview by Yahoo
>
> Now I'm not sure what would be the best type of mic's for getting the sou=
nd in this sort of thing. Would a shotgun mic pick up the sound from a good=
 distance and how would it sound to each side as they went past?

> About the only way I think another person could test it would be with 2 v=
ehicles coming toward them.
> I would do trial and error myself, but living in Australia I don't have a=
 return option if I don't like something I buy, I still haven't bought a sh=
otgun mic for this reason, so I have to get it right the first time. I wish=
 I was made of money, but I'm not.
> I hope someone could give me a little help.
>
> Regard's
> Phil

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional