Re: Approaching Stampede :)

Subject: Re: Approaching Stampede :)
From: madl74
Date: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:08 pm ((PDT))
> I bought a new video camera not long ago (Panasonic HC-X1000), so I will =
be doing a lot more videos with sound, both instructional (I have a Sennhei=
ser ew 112 & 122-p G3), and natural (not sure on mic yet).

Phil,

Does the camera have a mount for a mic? If it has a built in mic this hss
generally two wide a pickup area for good sound and it also picks up camera=

noises like the zoom motor and handling.

Many semi-pro and pro news type cameras have a short gunmic mounted on a
soft mount with a windsock which gets basic sounds with an emphasis on what=

is is in front, but they also pick up out of vision traffic and, people,
etc. Contrary to what is generally supposed, a stereo camera mic is almost=

as deficient as an Omni, as the fig-8 element, which adds stereo also adds=

surrounding out of vision noise.

The next improvement is a good gunmic away from the camera, but this really=

needs someone else to deploy it and that was my job for 28 years.

> Here is my dilemma. I'm a horse breeder and sometimes I get the opportuni=
ty to get a bit of video that would be a lot better with its natural sounds=
.

If you don't want to record conversations, a camera mic or a mic mounted on=

you will get a lot of good sounds, so I would always advise recording camer=
side sound anyway. If you want speech, a radio mic is best but can be fiddl=
to set up, but this is how most TV interviews are gone.

Video sounds are roughly divided into actuality sync sound, speech or music=
.
You can use a separate recorder and sync it up later to the camera sound, o=
use it non-sync.

Syncing up sound later can be done with frame accurate time codes on camera=

and recorder, and that is how professional filming is done. Without a commo=
time code, each shot has to be synced up later and this is what a clapper
board does, or a hand clap in vision with a indentifying comment.

I'm sorry, but I just don't like music or muzak used to fill up the sound
track. I've even heard birdsong covered up by meaningless music.

>  Bfd Brokeford Mares June 2011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dtw6fSK2To=
Ak Brokeford mares coming up to say hello. No cameramen where injured in th=
e making of this video. Holsteiner sport horses for performance.

Never mind the cameraman - was the camera OK? :-)

This video would have been transformed by live sound of any type like a
camera mic. Just wearing a pocket recorder and letting it run would have go=
good horse sounds and distant shouting etc. and also the cameraman nearly
capsizing. (With or without anglo-saxon)

With separate sound, to get which bit goes with what, just briefly describe=

the shot as you switch off the camera such as "four horses running towards=

camera".

Just as an illustration of the use of "wildtrack sound" taken separately
from the camera, on wildlife films you frequently see a distant bird on a
long telephoto lens with close up bird calls carefully edited into sync. It=

is difficult to get distant sync sound even with a parabolic reflector, and=

relatively easy to sync up a separate wildtrack recording of the appropriat=
species in the cutting room.

Coming back to the horse sequence, general hoof sounds etc edited in would=

have been preferable to an orchestra ostensibly playing in a open field
which you sometimes hear used.

David Brinicombe