Re: Protecting microphones from rain overnight

Subject: Re: Protecting microphones from rain overnight
From: madl74
Date: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:33 pm ((PDT))
>  For wetter conditions, how acoustically transparent are condoms, and is =
it better to leave them loose or seal up the ends?  I mean for recording.

Elron,

They are far too thick for use in air. However I have used them on moving
coil mics to convert them into hydrophones. They work best with a small foa=
"puffgag" under them. I sealed them with rubber cement which peels off
later.

I'm old enough to remember non teat ended condoms which were best. I used
them on an AKG D 109 "lanyard" mic which are now a collector's item. One
split but I found the mic was still working perfectly, so I then just dunke=
them straight into water.

When I worked for the BBC, I claimed condoms on expenses and they always
paid up. :-)

David Brinicombe