Re: Protecting microphones from rain overnight

Subject: Re: Protecting microphones from rain overnight
From: madl74
Date: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:29 pm ((PDT))
> Eric, can you give some more details about this technique? How thin does =
the film have to be? How far from the capsules should it be? What effect do=
es it have on the sound?

Peter,

See my other email about using acoustically transparent covers. A film
cover, however light, is in effect another microphone diaphragm which
re-radiates the sound. I've tried it and couldn't make it satisfactory.

Try holding clingfilm above your head and you will probably hear the
problem. Rain will also be very noisy and wind will make it very rustly.

If a fine fabric gets wet, rain can close the pores, but treating it with a=

waterproofer helps a lot.

PS. I invented the "rainsock" in the 1960's for filming a BBC Police Series=

in rain (low budget) which has since evolved into the ubiquitous "hairy
Harry" or "dead cat".

David Brinicombe