Re: Protecting microphones from rain overnight

Subject: Re: Protecting microphones from rain overnight
From: madl74
Date: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:24 pm ((PDT))
> I've actually been wondering about treating a piece of cotton with Neverw=
et or something similar. The cotton should prevent the hard patter of rain,=
 but the Neverwet could theoretically keep it from getting soaked and letti=
ng water through.

Charles,

Cotton tends to get wet quickly and this seals up the cloth to sound, even=

when waterproofed. Synthetic material is usually better. Hard rain will for=
a fine spray through any cover, but dead cat false fur gives a soft landing=

to the rain until that too saturates.

When I made my rainsocks I used brushed acrylan that they make kiddie's
rompers out of. Again, the test is to put the cloth over your head, wet or=

dry, to see what it sounds like. I got funny looks doing this in a local
fabric shop. :-) When you try to explain, the eyes get even narrower.

The silicone spray to use is the non-waxy type which doesn't dry sticky.

David Brinicombe