Re: long cable runs with electret microphones

Subject: Re: long cable runs with electret microphones
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:29 pm ((PDT))
I=E2=80=99ve been using long unbalanced cables for my =E2=80=9Clight system=
=E2=80=9D for backpacking for several years. My mics are Telinga Clip-Ons. =
I use miniature coaxial cable and an 80' 2-channel snake that I made out of=
 Mogami 2697, each conductor carrying one channel. I=E2=80=99m sure I get s=
ome HF rolloff from the cable capacitance (92 pF/ft) and the rather high so=
urce impedance of the electrets (2-3 kohms). Sounds good but I should measu=
re it. I=E2=80=99m going to experiment with Belden 1808A, a flexible dual c=
oaxial cable that=E2=80=99s only 17.3 pF/ft.

I use mini-xlrs on all my mics and cables for flexibility and more reliabil=
ity than 3.5 mm plugs. Only at the recorder end do I have a Y-adaptor to 3.=
5 mm.

Never a problem with interference in the field, as long as my phone is off.

-Dan