Re: long cable runs with electret microphones

Subject: Re: long cable runs with electret microphones
From: "Marc Myers" primatemarc
Date: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:24 am ((PDT))
As I expect you know, it's better to have a noise cancelling, three wire co=
nnection for long runs, particularly for weak signals like microphone outpu=
ts. The problem is unbalanced wires pick up noise. A preamp would only be u=
seful if it's on the microphone side of the run and even then, you would be=
 better off with a balanced connection from the pre to the recorder. A prea=
mp will add its own noise. All of this is dependent on how much electronic =
noise there is in the environment as well. Additional gear will kind of def=
eat the simplicity you wish anyway. I'd test and see if I was happy with th=
e result.