Re: An interactive Google map of LIVE Wild Soundscape feeds all over

Subject: Re: An interactive Google map of LIVE Wild Soundscape feeds all over
From: baraitsersmith
Date: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:55 am ((PDT))
Hi John and all =0D
=0D
 At soundCamp http://self-noise.net/soundcamp/, we have been working on som=
ething along these lines.=0D
 =0D
 On 3-4 May, for International Dawn Chorus Day, we did REVEIL -  the first =
24 hr round the world radio broadcast of live sounds of daybreak, with the =
aim of creating a sketch of the emerging field of live streaming audio, and=
 particularly its ecological implications.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 With REVEIL we hoped precisely to catalyse the development of an open micr=
ophone network, relaying live sounds especially from wild places and sites =
of particular sound value. So clearly this resonates with the concerns here=
.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Locus Sonus, one of the principal partners in reveil / soundCamp, has been=
 a pioneer in this field. Locus Sonus hosts an interactive map http://locus=
onus.org/soundmap/040/, which is available to anybody wanting to provide a =
 stream.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 We welcome new streams at any time, and especially towards the next instan=
ce of REVEIL in MAY 2015. A number of approaches are available for streamin=
g, including with affordable streamboxes using Raspberry Pi's.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 The project to date has been a collaboration between soundCamp, CRiSAP, SA=
RC, Locus Sonus, Wave Farm, IDCD and others. We have been very grateful for=
 the advice and support of Gordon Hempton, Bernie Krause et al.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 We would very much like this conversation to become wider, so it's great t=
o have people's thoughts here.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Thanks=0D